Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Jones steps down at Gulf Shores

GULF SHORES -- Coaching high school basketball, teaching elementary school P.E. and trying to be an accessible and supportive father was just too much for David Jones to handle at one time.

After a single year as coach of the Gulf Shores boys basketball team, Jones has decided to step down in order to focus on his teaching assignment and his son's future as a baseball player. He also said not being able to spend the day on campus with his players was a key factor in his decision.

"I may regret it in a couple years, but right now it's the right decision for me," said Jones. "I found as the year went along how difficult it was for me to be the head basketball coach at the high school and still do what I needed to do and what was expected of me at the elementary school. I really have felt this year that I've been pulled real tight in two different directions. You want to do your best (at the high school) and you want to do your best (at the elementary school), and I've felt like I didn't do either institution justice.

"I really don't want to change my teaching assignment. I love the elementary school and I love the kids and the people I work with. I just think the high school basketball program needs a coach that's going to be on campus all day long."

Jones stepped in just prior to the 2005-06 season and guided Gulf Shores to an 8-18 record. The Dolphins finished tied for third in 4A Area 1 with a 1-5 area record and lost to No. 6-ranked Escambia County in the first round of the area tournament.

Jones will still put the Dolphins through spring drills, but will step aside as soon as the GSHS administration decides on a new coach.

Jones said he did not come to this decision easily, though he admitted things became a lot more clear once the Dolphins' hoops season came to a close and his son's baseball season got under way.

"I know it's the right decision at this time, but I'm obviously leaving with mixed emotions," said Jones. "I've been coaching basketball for over 20 years, it's just in my blood. I'll miss the practice time with the kids and I'll obviously miss coaching the big pressure games. I mean, if you love to coach you love to coach in those. When 'The Tank's' full and it's rocking, there's nothing like coaching a team to a win in a situation like that.

"I took my time with it, but I didn't want to take too much time because I wanted the school to be able to make the move and get the new guy in here," he added. "I'll support whoever it is 100 percent because I love this school and this community and this program. I feel like a weight's been lifted off, but at the same time I'm sure when basketball season rolls around I'll miss it."

Jones' son, D.J., is currently a junior at Gulf Shores and a pitcher/center fielder on the Dolphins' baseball team. According to Jones, he has already been contacted by several Division I schools and will spend the entire summer traveling the country and playing baseball.

By DEREK BELT
Sports Reporter


--